Saturday 29 May 2010

If I....

If I were dying of cancer
would you hold me?
Cry with me?

Run with me?
Jump with me?
Laugh with me?

Losing all my hair,
laughing at the futility of it all,
still appreciating your smile;

I want to feel your touch.
I want to reach out to you -
because people rarely do.

Your lips aren't the goal;
nor is your heart, really.
I've nothing to win;
nothing to do:

I just want your attention,
your ears,
your affection;
your every affectation.

If I were dying of cancer,
my bones like bonemeal,
skin sallow like dead pig skin,
would you stroke my balding head?

Would you do that for me?
(And not condescend me?)
Would you sit with me
in a meadow of sunflowers
and daffodils
and just grow in the sunshine?

And what if I
didn't have cancer -
would you
do that for me,
too?

No comments:

Post a Comment