Wednesday 17 June 2020

Mother

You were like a little bird
and you lived inside your bed,
and the sheet was yellowed under your feet
and I wondered if you were dead.
You rarely made me breakfast
but you sometimes made me lunch.
I’d no idea what depression was
but I guess I had a hunch.

From a young age I’d hated him
for how he spoke to you, I cried
and tried to get between,
I wanted to rescue you.
And yet you’d never let things go
and that really made me sad;
I guess it made me angry,
and I sympathised with dad.

He’d sometimes pick you up from work
and I’d be next to him.
If you were late getting out, he’d wait
spot you, then drive off in a spin.
And he’d call you fucking useless
and he’d call you nasty cunt
and I heard he told the girls you were a dog,
which confused them - they didn’t have one.

As a girl you were a beauty;
you could have been a model.
Dad was nineteen when he met you,
you sixteen - it was a doddle.
You were a stunning young mother,
with your eyes open wide.
And dad was good to you,
until the day your father died.

Then your blue sky turned thunderous
and your protector turned to captor.
And your flat became a prison,
and your bruises were redacted.
And the family kept secrets
And you were too scared to tell,
for you’d probably have gotten the blame,
you were terrified of him as well.

And so you put up with his shit,
and his lack of passion became the norm.
And the flies that dogged your window
now had turned into a swarm.
You lost so many teeth;
you lost so much weight too.
Your stomach was in pieces,
you struggled on the loo.

And though for so long I blamed you
for preserving me in that mess,
I know you loved us deeply
and I see you tried your best.
I learned so much from you,
and so did my own wife.

I learned that love’s not a weapon -
not something to weigh upon another.
it takes courage to put down the knife;
it takes more strength to lift your lover.
And here’s the simple twist of fate:
if your heart’s true, then 
it’s never too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment