Wednesday 17 June 2020

Yvonne/Bevendean

You were my sanctuary
in the storm of my youth;
my mum’s sanctuary
in the storm of her marriage.

You would send me off to school
with luncheon meat sandwiches
and a small box of teeny smarties.
I would save up all the blue ones
and give them to my friend
who had ADHD,
curious to see if they’d send him off.

I loved watching Mortal Kombat
on Fox Kids, and Goosebumps.
I would lie on your floor
and pencil endlessly
sketches of Jax,
my favourite character,
with his black skin, thick cool
black sunglasses, and metal arms.

Your husband would show me
catwalk women on Men and Motors
and make me toast triangles
with lots of butter
and strawberry jam,
and say, ‘If you don’t eat it
you’ll wear it!’ or
‘I’ll shut your fingers in the door...’

It was a place to escape the
constant misery of home,
the constant sowing of bad seeds.
Like a hotel in the desert -
Hotel California, perhaps?
Maybe we felt we could never leave.

Is that why now, 
at 31, I’m back here again?
Escaping the storm that I have made?
Only, Ian is long since gone.
You are still a lion,
only slower and not so much
in your prime.

The only difference is
I can see clearly now
what was oblivious to me
as a child - what was only
a fuggy swirl
of intoxicated feelings.
So I guess it’s time
to get on healing.

No comments:

Post a Comment