Monday 15 June 2020

Nana

Nana, I remember your house.
I’d enter through that wooden door,
through rainbow beads, and smell 
the cat food you kept in your larder,
on the left.

And above the stove
which smelled of dry heat
there was a tray about
footprints, and how
God was carrying you,
and that plate that read,
and I’m paraphrasing,
‘When mum and dad say no,
ask Nana’.

Your sofas were green
and a small colour TV
rested in the unit in the corner,
by the west-facing window
overlooking the racecourse
where we witnessed 
the best sunsets.

And you had a kind of fabric mosaic
picture of a racehorse,
and I remember your beautiful cats.
And the stairs up to your
neat little room, the spare room
so mysterious to me
and the bathroom,
which smelled of air freshener -
maybe lilies - and the dolly
toilet roll holder in her hanging dress.

And I remember after you died
having dreams about you
where you were sleeping on mum and dad’s
green sofa, and your head
was stuck down behind the cushions,
or you had inexplicably 
come back from the dead.
And it was fine.

I miss you. I miss seeing you walk out
mum and dad’s front door, so tiny,
only four feet eight, your curly white hair,
your wooden stick supporting you,
slightly arthritic fingers, skin so fine
and so wrinkled, your knuckles
so thin and so pronounced.

I wish I could see your house again,
although it’s been occupied since 2005,
to see your garden, where once
rhubarb and beans and cabbage grew,
your tiny shed and the ramshackle pile
of sticks behind, full of spiders
and lizards. And you’d bring me out a cup of tea, 
in small china - so sweet and good.
And the sweetie tin, oh
the sweetie tin.

You’d bend over, and say,
go on, take one. So I’d take my time,
then choose a chocolate-lime. Then you’d say,
take another - a butter fudge, maybe?
And then you’d smile and say,
take three, a third - have one on me.
And I’d spend the longest time
looking through the fruit bon-bons
before inevitably choosing raspberry.

No comments:

Post a Comment