Wednesday 17 June 2020

Kathleen/Woodingdean

You’d pick me up from school
every Friday 
and we’d walk all the way
along the backtracks
past the horses and brambles and nettles
to Woodingdean.

Friday evenings
we’d go to Vesuvios
and have dinner by Tony -
you, egg salad; me two sausages and chips -
the BEST chips -
and ice cream drizzled in cream.
Auntie waitressed there,
and it had a timeless sense;
‘Take My Breath Away’ would play;
it had an 80s bent.

On Saturdays we’d get the bus into town
to see your sister. You’d treat me
to nuggets and chips in Maccy Ds,
the toy of course
always the best bit.
And then a small ice cream each -
no Flake.

Your sister’s house was a bit old
and dingy,
and smelled of old grease.
Her partner would watch old westerns
or Carry On films
whilst I would read
The National Enquirer -
what a strange situation!

Then we’d go back to yours
on the bus, and I’d whisper in your ear
just loud enough for the people behind to hear,
‘Did you get my CDs?’
That was code for ‘chocolate desserts’
with the delicious cream on top
always to be eaten first,
but the people behind didn’t know that!

I loved those bus rides.
I loved your garden.
I loved the fields across from your house
with their long grass.
Sometimes we’d venture into the downs
and I’d count the burned-out cars.

Then one day, you had to leave;
you were being terrorised by young children
who egged your house, broke
your window, hurled abuse.
The Beast of Woodingdean, with whom
nobody would fuck, was now seen
as a lonely old dragon
who was down on her luck.

But not to me.
You were a fierce lady
who loved her grandson - fed him
burned pizza and overcooked homemade chips,
and your house was like a relic -
I mean, who the hell still had a larder!?

You have mellowed through the years
and I take great pleasure
in showing you the music I love
and the photos of the great-grandchildren you adore.
Your husband died in 1979,
but now you talk to Les every day.
I just hope you live out your days now
in peace - I hope it stays that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment