Monday 15 June 2020

The Story of Me

I started out as a quiet boy
So my teachers thought I was dumb 
But I was just sitting and watching
And working it out, rule of thumb
I was difficult and misunderstood
And I could talk for hours about comets -
Long before high school
And writing crushes rubbish sonnets

I was angry and I was confused
And when I played video games 
If I couldn’t beat that final boss
I’d throw the controller in a rage
And look in the mirror and cry
And slap my face 
And wish I would just fucking die;
What a disgrace

I was stuck in an unhappy home 
Full of rage and retaliation - 
It was a microcosm 
Of this place we call our nation,
Where knives glistened ‘neath
Fluorescent lights
And words were cut so sharp
And tinged with such clever poison
They would stay within your heart 

And school was like some primal jungle
Where animals did roam -
The snakes, the bears, the unawares
And the girls in their mean ivory thrones
I wore my heart on my sleeve 
And I just did not understand
Why reaching out in kindness
Left me with a blistered hand

That boy was cheeky, and that boy
Was clever. I loved that boy, I knew him,
And I can still see him 
Out in rainy weather
He’s wearing a dark-blue raincoat
And the rain feels good on his skin
And I’m telling him: It’s not your fault
And he says, It’s a long game, but
I’ll win

No comments:

Post a Comment