Saturday 4 July 2020

You Are Golden

Recently
I have found myself digging
through the wonders
of the treasure box
of myself;
where golden coins from aeons gone
glint besides rubies and opals
that shine like the sun.

Just be careful not to polish
the iron pyrites -
that’s fool’s gold to some;
that’s no tonic for good health.
All those dregs of your experience
you’re dredging
will make a paltry sum.

I’ve done that too many a time -
I looked into the crystal ball
and I saw a future devoid of light,
but in the darkness of my past
there were stars shining up
from the very bottom,
like an upside down sky.

And these things appear dangerous,
these things appear hot -
but that’s a cold game this illusion plays,
because really they’re not.

Not until you’ve dug
to the very bottom
of your soul
will you ever realise
that what glitters
is sometimes
even better than gold

and if you’re lucky -
and you’re not lonely -
then one day you may find
that another sun will rise with you;
be good to her -
see her treasures every day.
And, for goodness sake, be kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment