Monday 6 July 2020

All I Want

Life with you on paper
might appear boring
But that’s all that I want:
to sit in with a good film
every night,
or visit a local haunt;

or skim stones
on the water’s edge,
as the froth breaks with the sea.
Seven, eight – 
nine skips!
Those stones
are you and me.

And to take the kids to school
would be the greatest pleasure –
then all that time
we’d get in
plenty of leisure.

We could sit and talk
over coffee and cake,
or read a book,
see a friend,
spend a token.
Or sit and dream,
or start to scheme
to put some plans in motion.

Or walk the dog,
through rain or fog,
by field, by canal
or by ocean.

Yes life with you
on paper
might seem boring;
but the fires we’d make
between the sheets -
between walking and talking,
and snoring....

I’d leave you out a gas light burning,
it would see you safe forever
through even the darkest night.
I could hold you
like a promise.
You could wear me
like the weather.

We could wake up
to the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment