Thursday 4 November 2010

That Look

That look could kill a man
and melt his heart:
it comes but rarely;

imagined over candle-lit meal
after piecemeal day
working up to
your eyes:

your soft eyes
and endless hair,
trapping as spider silk
and flowing as time.

When you throw them down
and rise coquettish
it's like our eyes
are holding hands -
you know it's all about the eyes.

I've not had it yet -
not had
fulfillment of desire
or charcoal, heart, fire
or tongue, clamp, chain
or wings: clipp'd, heal'd.

I can imagine being there
with you,
though -
can see your soft, small hands;
your neutron star eyes;
sensitive iron;
peeled grace,
frayed,
revealing white light.

The truth is
you remind me of someone -
she's a great girl,
and you're not grown
but you're bigger than I know
and the more you're held
in time's tow
the more my hunger ties meld
and in iron forge
heart is smelt
and a rising is your name dealt.

That look could kill a man,
and bring despair full circle.
A new chapter, into which to hurtle.
A new void, into which to peer
at anguish at the throttle
and hearts at the bottle
and smiles on the incline...
Still, everything might be fine.

7 comments:

  1. Your writing here is so elegant. What inspired this one? Keep writing x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was inspired by a girl I once saw; I merely projected that desire into want. I'm not sure why I wrote it, really; I think I just wanted to write something 'nice', lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (And thank you for your kind comment.)

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Must have been quite an impression if it was only once. But seriously, it's more than nice...I'd sound really ignorant if I started commenting on specific bits, especially as I don't know you, but I love several lines in this :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you. What's your name? The girl is quite beautiful. She goes to my university, and she's seeing a friend now (who's a fantastic guy; at least, I think they're seeing each other). Maybe it prompted me to reminisce untaken chances of the past or contemplate some hopeful yet-to-be-made connection with a person in the future. Do you write poetry?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you mind if I don't say...hence the anonymous thing...maybe I'm being paranoid, but you know what the internet is like sometimes! I love writing poetry, but keep it quite private. Poetry often expresses things within us that are the most personal, and I'm not very good at exposing that...

    As far as yet-to-be-made connections are concerned, I'd encourage you to have confidence in yourself and in your writing, and don't be afraid to take risks :) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I understand. Thank you for your words of encouragement: I shall hold them dear.

    ReplyDelete