Sunday 7 November 2010

Psychoanalysis

Alcohol
allows the id
to come out to play:
we joke, we lust,
we become as children;
we become 
violent,
vulgar,
unrepressed.

Men anticipate sex;
women anticipate
internalising,
narrativising,
the act,
and then talking about it
afterwards.

The dictator
is the id and ego
(and never the superego);
a stiff phallus
that must assert itself
in its sons
and inspire lust
in its daughters.

And what of Freud's ego?
What of that pipe -
the id?
The superego came through
through him,
meeting walls of ego,
supressing their
underlying ids.

My id tells me to
rape, rummage, wreck,
kill, command;
my ego tells me that
desires are non-existent,
impure,
and that the superego
will eventually
come through.

I play videogames;
I don't question why.
Maybe I'm just shy
or feeble,
and it's a way
of serving that excluded part
of my personality
and giving vent to that
unspoken life
reality.

But maybe I play them
because I feel,
like videogame characters,
I should be out there killing,
murdering, raping, stealing,
letting primal energy flow;
and this culture,
this superego,
is stopping me:
perhaps that's why
I'm off to Afghanistan next month....

No comments:

Post a Comment