Thursday 21 January 2010

Baby teeth (haiku).

Baby teeth, you grind
softly; you dribble: eyes wide
at the thought of food.

Baby, you grasp with
chubby arms; arms like the fat
of the early world.

You smile, but frown
as you teeth; I soothe you with
smiles, rum and milk.

You clasp my finger
and play with my hair; amazed
at textures unknown.

One day, you'll have
your own babies with their own
baby-toothed smiles.

And one day, you'll
again feel the walls of the
world, in awe of them.

But you won't be trapped;
the world is your oyster; make
sure you flesh it out.

Walls cannot hold you;
neither can I; but baby,
please remember me.

Baby, I love you
like a loved-up artist loves
his unfinished work.

I love you like I
loved the bottle; I've now
traded vice for love.

No comments:

Post a Comment